Friday, June 21, 2013

Flip This Pattern: High Contrast

Hello faithful readers - in case you missed it, here is my full blog post about flipping Elegance&Elephant's Bubble Pocket Shorts.  But more IMPORTANTLY, today is the day you can start voting for your favorite!!!!  So go vote.... FOR MINE... or you know, whosever you like best... they are all seriously amazing and I had so much fun just getting to participate.
If I won - I think I could be convinced to do a free tutorial for the top.... just sayin'.....

and if you haven't already, read on and see baby girl dancing...
----------------------------------
..... I am Heidi Kettner's biggest fan.... well maybe after her parents, and husband, and friends she actually sees in real life... well I'm somewhere in there.  I have had the privilege of testing both of Heidi's patterns, and somehow for both I used two contrasting fabrics.  Thus she dubbed me the 'Queen of Contrast'.  And it became the inspiration for my flip of the Bubble Shorts!


As a photographer, contrast is very important to me - it can make or break a photo, and you can't go further with contrast than black and white.  I wanted my flip to show off the lines of this pattern, to enhance what was already there, to be clean and classic, and something I would love.  Well, I DO LOVE THEM!!!


I went with eyelet for its summer and slightly vintage vibe, and paired it with straight black cotton.  The shorts are lined with a soft lightweight knit to make them opaque and to make them extra comfy for my baby girl to run and play in.  Because of that , there is no inner waistband, I simply top stitched around the two layers to create a casing for the elastic.

Beyond the piping, I added extra bows to the pockets - just that little extra touch of girlish charm.  And I changed the cuff.  I rounded the two edges and made them overlap at the center of the pocket for just a little detail.



I then had to make the perfect top to go with the shorts.  I decided on a knit halter with a black base and white eyelet peter pan collar - another nod to vintage meets modern.



I am so excited that I have gotten to be a part of this series and I hope you like my flip!!!







2 comments: