Thursday, May 29, 2014

Sew-a-bration of Womanhood: Blog Series

I am so excited to get to participate in the second year of the Sew-a-bration of Womanhood Series with the Shaffer Sisters (last year it was the 'Make for Mom' series and I made the Ariadne Top).


2014 has been my year of Self Care Sewing - of rediscovering the joy in sewing things for myself - and the absolute pleasure of wearing things that I can't afford to buy, but I can afford to MAKE.  Add to that the comfort of actually fitting in my clothing... WOOT!!!!!

Here's a little glimpse of some of what I have made so far this year:

   


For today though, I am sharing a great top for summer from Seamingly Smitten.  This is the women's high low tank.  Stylish - check, perfect for lightweight drape-y cotton and cotton blends - check, can be made with just one yard of fabric - check!  Similar tanks can run from $20-50 in stores, and this yard of fabric I scored on sale for $5.  It is a poly cotton blend from Joanns with such a soft hand and an incredible drape.  This pattern would be great in a lightweight knit too.

If you are a mom like me, this is the perfect staple to fill your wardrobe with - it is easy to wear and can be super simple and casual, or easily dressed up with a few accessories.  It works with jeans, or shorts, and I think it would be so cute with a skirt as well!





The top sews up quick, and was the perfect easy thing to wear to a summer cook out.  I can chase after kids, eat too much food, and still feel pulled together - mommy win!

The Jeans are my Named Jamie Jeans that I made during Challenge Create - these are one of my favorite things I have made for me this year!

I am so thankful for the opportunity to encourage more women to sew for themselves - no matter what your size, or style, or sewing level - you CAN sew for yourself and love what you create!
*In that vein, I have been working on something secret and special and very much for women... I'll be able to tell you more later in the month!*

Check out all of the other amazing women participating:

4 comments:

  1. I love your High/Low Tank!!! You look gorgeous, Suzanne! I love all the outfits you have made this year and I cannot believe you made JEANS!! That is awesome!! That inspires me to give them a try!!
    Jenny
    Seamingly Smitten owner/designer
    www.etsy.com/shop/SeaminglySmitten

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the top and you made jeans?! Wow! Stunning pictures too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can you let me know what pattern you used for the grey top with the blue neckline? I love your top and would love to have the pattern!
    Thank you

    Terri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Terri, That is the Rose Top from Blank Slate Patterns!

      Delete